Lessons of Kosovo
by Fr. Rodney Torbic
1. Today we mark a specific date in Serbian Orthodox history - June 15/28, 1389.
2. We focus on a very definite decision-making process.
3. Our attention is on individuals who chose to be true to themselves and to God.
4. Faith in God superceded any outside threat.
5. Internal peace was sufficient strength in the face of adversity.
6. The long view was more important than the temporary present.
7. The decisions made at Kosovo have relevance for all time.
8. We are linked by identity to the martyrs of Kosovo.
9. The Serbian Orthodox Church and Orthodox Churches everywhere have been influenced by the decisions made at Kosovo.
10. At different stages in life we make choices which define us.
11. The Holy Sacraments define us.
12. We chose Christ at Baptism.
13. We are sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit at Chrismation.
14. At Confession and Communion, we unite and are reunited with Christ.
15. At Holy Matrimony, our marital lives taken on meaning and direction from the Church. The marriage is Christ-centered.
16. Holy Orders reflect a certain commitment.
17. Holy Unction reflects a depth of commitment.
18. The decisions of the martyrs of Kosovo and the lessons of Kosovo penetrate the centuries.
19. Children face decisions. To go along with the crowd or to stand for what is right.
20. To do good in school...to be good at home...to be good in the neighborhood...in the face of temptations.
21. A war takes place in each heart and mind between good and evil.
22. Test the decisions based on Christ's life and teachings.
23. Spend time reading the Holy Scriptures and the lives of the saints to define who you are and what you are and what you want to become.
24. Stand with the Church.
25. Guide your life based on the teachings of the Church.
26. Be patient...take the long view.
27. Resist pressure.
28. Keep cool under fire.
29. Be clear on who you are.
30. Stand for the Christ.